The Phoenix Academy educates and inspires students with learning differences to realize their full academic potential and become successful in school and in life.
Based on the belief that every child can learn to read, the Phoenix Academy fulfills its mission by:
- Using a phonics-based education model
- Focusing on reading, spelling, writing and math
- Addressing each child’s individual learning style and needs
- Employing committed and caring teachers trained in multi-sensory, research-based methods
- Providing a nurturing learning community that welcomes all children
- Engaging parents in the educational process
Most of the students at the Phoenix Academy are one or more school years behind in reading and/or math. Phoenix offers a strong language arts curriculum including Spalding Phonics which is a multi-sensory approach – see it, hear it, say it, and write it – for explicit, intensive, systematic phonics. Spalding also emphasizes reading, writing, spelling, and handwriting. Grammar is taught using Shurley English and Read Naturally supports comprehension and fluency instruction. Otter Creek and Saxon Math curriculums reinforce skills that are taught from beginning math through Algebra.